The power of our homes

Both paintings by John Sloan
"The woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home, filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing something better than anything else her hands could find to do beneath the skies." (J. R. Miller)


Never underestimate the power you have at home—you set the scene for family life, you create the cosiness of the home, you have built a sanctuary for all whom dwell within, you prepare the healthy meals your family eat, you keep the home clean and tidy, you drive the atmosphere of the home, you create moments things for your loved ones. You play a vital role which should never be underestimated. Even years later, those you once nurtured, who have since flown the nest will remember all the things you did to make their lives so perfect. 

Mothers and wives are important in the lives of others. My mother created the most wonderful home full of Christian love, a place that was a sanctuary from the world and its troubles. My mother wasn't a full-time stay-at-home woman—she was a school teacher at the local country school, but regardless she did an amazing job and set the example to me and to others who witnessed her homemaking skills that any of us can do the same if we put our hearts and minds in the right place. 



"A true home is one of the most sacred of places. It is a sanctuary into which men flee from the world's perils and alarms. It is a resting-place to which at close of day the weary retire to gather new strength for the battle and toils of tomorrow. It is the place where love learns its lessons, where life is schooled into discipline and strength, where character is molded." (J. R. Miller)


Comments

  1. I needed this today! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your mother be blessed forever. That's a hard job.
    Be blessed. Glad to find you.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother did a brilliant job, even though she has moments when she would strongly disagree - I think all mothers do this from time to time :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this reminder. I think I'm going to print up the quote you have at the end and put it somewhere I can read it several times a day just to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Jennifer - owe have the power to make or break our homes - it is a big responsibility.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully encouraging post!

    I too was blessed with a mom who made my growing up years like an episode right out of Leave it to Beaver.

    Thank you so much for sharing this lovely post.

    P.S. I have always loved John Sloane's paintings! I crawl right into them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a fan of John Sloane and like you would love to be part of these scenes!!

      Delete
  5. I really needed this encouragement today. I am feeling physically tired but your encouragement will allow God to give me the needed energy to provide a pleasant home life for my family today.
    Thank you for being here to provide the encouragement we all need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am visiting you from Cornerstone Confessions. We as women and mothers do have a lot entrusted to us to make our homes alive for others. We need to do the best we can regardless of the number of hours we spend there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, but sadly too many women have forgotten how important their roll is in the home and some homes are a shell of what they should be.

      Delete
  7. Great post! This was *featured* this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth as the #1 most viewed last week :)

    Happy Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw you featured at Strangers and Pilgrims. Loved your post. While my mom was not a Christian, she had such an impact upon my life just by being there every day when I got home from school. It made me desire to do the same for my children. Now they are talking of doing the same for theirs. We don't always realize the generational impact of our choices. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our choices do have a huge impact on our children and their memories of their past. I have wonderful childhood memories and that is thanks to my parents and the effort they put into our childhoods. Not only that, they are our teachers and role models and many of us either excel or struggle thanks to what our parents taught us in our early years. So glad you enjoyed this article.

      Delete
  9. How can I subscribe to your blog? Thank you in advance, Dawn E. Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just added the subscribe button on my blog - give it a go and let me know if it works !!

      Delete
  10. This is very encouraging. Sometimes we can feel like we're very imperfect - failures, in fact... but this is great encouragement for the tough days! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment