Who am I: a wife, a mother . . .


Who am I?

I am a wife.

I am a mother.

I am a daughter.

I am a sister.

I am an aunt.

I am a niece.

I am a cousin.

I am a friend.

I am many many things

Each one of these titles add up to make a whole - they are who I am as a person.  I am not just "me" (whatever that might mean), I am far more than just that. We are the product of all our roles and it is these many roles that shape each one of us and makes us all different.

We are women of many hats.

We wear many different hats as women. Each hat requires something different from us and impacts how we interact in our world with other people. Each has its own set of expectations and obligations. Each represents a piece of our divided self, with our many identities, which is often sliced up neatly like a Thanksgiving pie. We may be friend, daughter, girlfriend, sister, mother, wife, grandmother, counselor, career woman, pastor’s wife, student, coach, homemaker. With the endless possibilities of the many hats we wear, the Mad Hatter has got nothing on some of us! (source)

We should wear our hats proudly and not be ashamed to be known as a mother or wife, a sister or daughter. We should wear each of these roles as if wearing a crown - just as the woman in Proverbs 31 does.

What we aren't though is superwomen trying to juggle the entire world on our shoulders!

God never asks us to be superwomen, in fact He asks us to focus only on a handful of things: our relationship with Christ, wife, mother, homemaker first and foremost. However, a friend, a sister, an aunt are all very important too. 

That is who I am. 

And I wear these roles proudly in a world that has decided that these are politically incorrect. 

That they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. 

(Titus 2: 4-5)

******

Comments

  1. How stupid this world is. They make important that which is NOT, and they degrade the things that make us important and special within our families and before God. So sad, Jo. I am very thankful and pleased to be a daughter, wife, mother, sister, aunt, cousin, friend. That middle picture at the top of your post makes me sick. What on earth?!?! I certainly DON'T need feminism if it means I basically become a *nobody*! (let alone other reasons to not need feminism!) This kind of thinking -- as in that feminist picture -- is anti-Godly. Satan loves it because he hates women, mothers, daughters, wives... Has hated them from the beginning when he used Eve. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said the word I was searching for “nobody” because we are who we are because all our links to others. I’m proud to be a sister and daughter, aunt and niece and I am certainly very proud of being a wife and mother and one day a grandmother. I wear these titles with much love and pride.

      Delete
  2. And we were fearfully, wonderfully and deliberately made, made to be different, made to be a "help meet." That role and all of the others He gives us does not diminish us in any way. The world tells us that they do. Eve has fallen for the serpent's lies all over again. THanks for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for stopping by :)) have a blessed day.

      Delete
  3. This is so true, but the end statement is right God doesn't ask us to be superwoman (anyway who could wear that costume well!!!). He asks us to focus on Him and then our husband and family. I am a wife, mother, sister and all that as well but my greatest role is as wife and mother. What a blessing. Thank you for linking up another great post at Good Morning Mondays. I'm already looking forward to next week. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Jo. I (am) and wear many hats too and I love them all! God has given us a creative role that is ever changing and interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing lots of hats does require us to be very creative at times!!! and our lives are certainly varied and interesting without a doubt!!

      Delete

Post a Comment